[Lazarus] Bug tracker file formats: 7z prohibited?

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 20:39:56 CEST 2012

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Reinier Olislagers <
reinierolislagers at gmail.com> wrote:

> I noticed that in issue 22455, Bart Broersma says:
> > Please don't use .7z as compress format, it isn't supported out of the
> box on many platforms.
>
> If we shouldn't use 7z files, which format should we use then? zip?
> .tar.gz? AFAICT, these suffer from the same problems (e.g. no built in
> support on Win98 platforms and/or various unix flavours)?

I think Win98 does not support any compression format out of the box.

For me personally this is not an issue because I use Ark (comes with KDE)
and it opens pretty much any compression format you can imagine. Also, 7z
archiver can be installed to Windows.

Creating artificial limitations for file formats is not a good idea.
Getting example projects (and patches) is a valuable thing and it should be
encouraged by being flexible. Another similar issue is the patch format. At
least earlier the Git patch format was rejected by developers, although Git
is especially good for maintaining local branches for people without commit
rights.

Regards,
Juha