[Lazarus] Bug tracker file formats: 7z prohibited?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Sun Jul 22 14:41:59 CEST 2012

Reinier Olislagers wrote:

> Once people start making regular contributions, zip does seem to be the
> most well-supported format in general... either natively, as you said,
> or by widely available packages. Even then, a tgz makes a lot of sense
> if reporting Linux/OSX/Unix bugs as support for these is often built in
> (who knows, it may be always, but I'm not even less of an
> AIX/Solaris/BSD expert than a Linux distribution connoiseur)

.Zip can be a problem in some very old implementations, where it doesn't
handle long file names gracefully. There's at least two variants of
(uncompressed) tar still in circulation, Solaris (10) doesn't use the
GNU implementation by default but gtar is readily available (I've never
tried reading a Solaris-created tar on Linux). The tar I've got on some
old MS OSes doesn't have compression, I've not researched what's
currently available for e.g. OS/2 and NT.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk