[Lazarus] TODO items

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 11:37:11 CEST 2012

On 24 July 2012 09:49, Mark Morgan Lloyd
<markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk> wrote:
> If one inserts a TODO manually, how does one use the IDE to add/edit
> priority, category etc.? Or can these only be set by creating the entry from
> the IDE in the first place?

By manually, do you mean you physically type in.... { TODO:  my todo }
 somewhere in your code?

If so, simply type the priority, owner, category manually too. eg:
   { TODO 4 -oGraeme -cMyCategory : my text here }

I was going to say "You can obviously edit a simple todo entry later
via the IDE todo list dialog too.", but when I tried, I was surprised
to find out you can't. :-/ That is a bit weird, but should be very
easy to add. Probably just a minor oversight.

I know this is no directly related to you post, but thought it worth
mentioning...

Alternatively, I stopped using the inline (in source code units) TODO
items. I now have a TODO.txt file as standard with every project I
create. Or if projects are related, I have one TODO.txt file covering
all sub-projects. This file is also added to the Project Inspector, so
is easy to find and open, and it is version controlled with the rest
of my source code (so shared by multiple developers). I find the
external todo file much easier to work with, better text formatting,
ability to have sub-todo items, and quicker to review what I need to
work on next. Priority is simply managed my what items appear at the
top of the list. Categories are managed by a title/section. Once items
are complete, they later move to the bottom of the list to make space
for other new priority items - then later those completed items are
deleted/trimmed (deleting oldest entries first - bottom up). Here is
an actual example:

---------------------[ TODO.txt ]-------------------------

               M2 System todo list
              ---------------------

Legend
======
[ ] - not started yet
[o] - started but not complete
[x] - completed task.

Priority Items for next release
=========================
[x] - Data conversion from MDB to Firebird database. I need at least 3 different
      Centre databases.
[x] - TAdmin: Accounting & Bulk Invoicing must work.
[x] - TAdmin: Security must be in place. Evaluation mode.
[x] - TAdmin: Reporting system.
[ ] - Module Installer / Converter for new system.
[x] - Setup procedure.
        * Directory layout required
        * Apache install
        * Firebird install
        * Application install (tudor admin, docview, reports, help, cgi apps)
        * Firefox install with homepage setup to M2 Login

Tutor Admin
===========
[x] - Email statements and student history reports to clients (bulk and
      individual)
[o] - Get the sms system working on the new software
[ ] - User Maintenance Form. Make it look like all the other property forms.
      A single tabsheet with details.
[ ] - One click Stats. This will generate all reports and stats form in
      one go.

Installation / Deployment
[o] - Create a cross-platform installer. Already started this and is basing
      the design on Loki Games's installer.

....snip...

I have used this for a few years now, and it works very well. It is
also nice to be able to e-mail my boss (instantly) a list of todo
items. I also regularly switch between IDE's, so my todo list works
with any IDE or editor.

  - Graeme -