[Lazarus] OpenSUSE KDE keeps stealing my IDE shortcuts

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 17:11:35 CEST 2012

On 30 July 2012 14:27,  <michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be> wrote:

> Here it is 'System settings - Computer Administration - Keyboard & Mouse -
> Standard Keyboard Shortcuts' (or global keyboard shortcuts).

Are you running OpenSuse as well? or some other KDE distro like
Kubuntu?  The reason I ask, is because my OpenSuse doesn't have that
"menu navigation" structure you list. But I did find the "Standard
Keyboard Shurtcuts" option, but I triple checked, and nowhere is there
any mention of Ctrl+F4 as a keybinding. :-(   Damn, this is
frustrating - and a waist of my time! I hate change.

I'll give OpenSuse a bit longer, but if I get more such issues, maybe
I should try Ubuntu 10.04 again, but compile my own stock Linux kernel
3.2.x or something.

....some time later....

Another hour of fighting with a Desktop Environment has gone by, so I
decided to compile and install JWM (Joe's Window Manager), copied over
my .jwmrc file from my old PC, and now I have a 100% working desktop
with no "key shortcut stealing" occurring.  A desktop I can work
with.... What bliss! :-D

> Surprised to hear you have problems with Kubuntu 12.04. I run it myself,
> didn't experience any problems, my laptop is up and running since months.

I'm running a system with very new hardware, based on Ivy Bridge
(Intel 3770K 3.5Ghz CPU on a Asus P8Z77-V motherboard). Some googleing
revealed that I am not the only person with total system freeze-ups
under Ubuntu 12.04.

> Maybe a problem with the X drivers ? I never use the 'recommended' nvidia
> drivers, always a previous version.

I don't have a nvidia card, but a AMD (ATI) one. I already though of a
"driver issue", and tried the 'vesa', 'fbdev', 'radeon" and 'fglrx'
drivers. I still had the system freeze issue. I have no idea what
Canonical did with the kernel, but they botched it!

  - Graeme -