[Lazarus] Wiki Search vs Index

Marc Santhoff M.Santhoff at web.de
Thu Mar 1 16:08:41 CET 2012

Am Donnerstag, den 01.03.2012, 09:05 +0200 schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
> 2012/3/1 John Repucci :
> >
> > Ah - silly me.  All this time I have been using "Wiki Search".
> > Search for "virtual"
> > Index returned: 11
> > Wiki Search returned: 186
>

> As usual, the wiki returns rubbish, 100% of the time!

No it doesn't, at least for me.

> eg:  Go to the Index page, type in "freebsd" (without the quotes).
> Make sure Main is select in the ComboBox, and click Go.

As someone else said somewhere:

The index page lists page titles, page titles are equal to the pages
names.

> What's the point of having a search or index when it always spits out garbage!

I typed "Freebsd" into the "wiki search" input box and it returned two
100% hits and, as you're asking for IIUC, it searches the pages text and
returns hits from that search.

Look:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Special:Search?search=freebsd&go=Go

I van't see what's wrong with that.

I agree, I did expect to see the page "FreeBSD" in the index list. But
there is a trick regarding case sensitivity. If you type in "Free*"
instead of "Freebsd" - note, many if not all user of free BSD write it's
name "FreeBSD", not "freebsd" - you get what you are searching for.

Same holds true for tiopf, that can be named "TiOPF", tiopf", tiOPF" as
main cases.

Conclusion:
- Index search work fine.
- Remember the index is case sensitive and use it smart.
- Maybe the search logic could be changed. If one knows it's working OK,
but since it is unusual I have stepped into this pit multiple times
myself.
- Beofre changing the wiki it's easier to use google or another good
public search engine similarly capable. There cpould be a link on the
wikis main page for doing so.

(This took me 10 minutes to find out myself ;)

--
Marc Santhoff <M.Santhoff at web.de>