[Lazarus] Contribute to a book instead of wiki?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Mar 4 10:40:50 CET 2012

On Sun, 4 Mar 2012, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 3 March 2012 22:37, Michael Van Canneyt  wrote:
>>
>> I type text, and latex makes a layout that is 99% perfect; I really don't
>> care about the last 1%.
>> I've never been able to achieve the same speed with any wordprocessor.
>
> Make no mistake, latex makes beautiful documents (so can OpenOffice),
> but it is not the  layout I have an issue with. My issue with latex is
> simply to display certain characters. I often have to escape common
> English characters, so that latex interprets them correctly. This is
> what slows me down, and what obfuscates the text I am writing - and
> most importantly, breaks my flow of information. I'm sure with years
> of latex experience, like you have, those escaped characters and
> obscure text you need to type to insert a table etc will come
> naturally.
>
> But the generalization that to create beautiful and complex documents,
> is only possible when using latex, is just not true.

I didn't mean to state that either. I just wanted to say that
for me personally, LaTeX works best.

I 100% agree with your statement about using styles, but will make the
observation that 99% of all people I know does not know/use them in either
MS-office or OO, and uses hand-crafted layout. Latex applies the styles
automatically, which is one of the reasons I forced it on the help writers
here in the company.

Anyway, enough about wordprocessors :)

Michael.