[Lazarus] Adding packages at build time

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Mar 5 11:26:13 CET 2012

Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 15:46:18 +0100
> Bernd <prof7bit at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2012/3/2 Mattias Gaertner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de>:
>>
>>> Why do you build two times?
>>>
>>> Why not simply svn up und rebuild the IDE via the IDE?
>> I think I know what the problem is, I also wondered what would be the
>> best solution for this and found nothing. The problem is the "build
>> lazarus" from within Lazarus is using a somehow different way to buil
>> it. From the console output it looks like "build lazarus" is *somehow*
>> making use of the same makefiles too but it is producing a different
>> result when running the same make target from the console.
>>
>> I think with "build two times" when doing a fresh install (or after
>> fixing a broken unrunnable lazarus) he refers to:
>>
>> svn checkout ....  (or svn up -r <known_working> or otherwise fix
>> broken things)
>> make clean all       <--- this is the first time
>>
>> and then from the menu
>> ./lazarus
>> Tools  -> build lazarus  <-- this is the second time.

Sorry, I missed the earlier messages.

I've just compiled 0.9.30.4rc, and I no longer see a problem. However
until comparatively recently if you got Lazarus using  svn co  (etc.)
and then did a  make bigide  with default settings, the first project
you built also recompiled a whole lot of underlying libraries.

Many thanks to whoever fixed this. However once aware of the issue I
didn't consider it to be a particularly big deal, more serious is any
requirement to rebuild the IDE "from inside" since on tight systems this
obviously depletes the resources available for the compiler and- in
particular- linker.

>> There should be a make target that does exactly the same as the menu
>> item "build lazarus", somehow the highly obscure make-voodoo that is
>> performed in the "build lazarus" menu command should also be
>> accessible from the console without having any working Lazarus binary.
>> I once tried to reverse-engineer what exactly is going on and how and
>> why calling the *same* make target would produce different outcomes
>> when called from within the IDE and the command line but eventually I
>> gave up.
>
> If you want to build the IDE with packages use
> lazbuild --build-ide=

What do you mean- like

lazbuild --build-ide=lazsvnpkg

as an alternative to  make all  ? In that case what's the basic package
list corresponding to bigide?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk