[Lazarus] FPC index/searcher classes committed.

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 17:16:53 CET 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 02:53, Mattias Gaertner
<nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 01:55:20 +1100
>> A good use/test would be to speed up "Find in Files" in Lazarus.
>
> What cases do you have in mind?
>
> Under Linux "Find in Files" searches the whole Lazarus or FPC sources in
> 2 seconds. Of course if the files are not in the OS cache it may
> take much more. fpindexer may accelerate the first search dramatically,
> but it will need an update, every time you updated the sources.

I am not saying that standard search is slow
(just tested -- under a minute to scan the lazarus sources on
a recent machine with Windows from the cold cache).
Just that this would be a good test, because it is widely used by highly
demanding community, so any bugs will be quickly identified.

OTOH, paraphrasing Linus, "speed difference, if large enough, becomes a
feature in itself".
For example, you could update search results in real time a-la Google
I am not sure all that it will be a feature useful, but certainly a cool one :-)

> If you just want to find a declaration, maybe you want to
> try Cody's identifier dictionary:
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Cody#Unit_.2F_Identifier_Dictionary

Yes, I knew about it once, but forgot.
There are just too many ways to search things in Lazarus.
I think that some merging of various search methods would
benefit the user interface.

--
Alexander S. Klenin