[Lazarus] Size of binaries etc.

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Mar 21 14:03:16 CET 2012

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> The initial size of Lazarus applications is 1,5MB unless smartlinking
> fails or is off, then it will be 3MB. Which operating system and
> architecture are you using? Which Lazarus/fpc versions?

Debian Linux on x86. Lazarus 0.9.30.4 and FPC 2.6.0 (both built from
source as described), gtk2.

> Did you turn smartlinking on? -XX

Yes. I've just wiped and reloaded all source files, tweaked project
options for smartlinking and maximum optimisation, and got a 4Mb binary
which doesn't change in size if I try to strip it. Looking at Lazarus
output I can see fpc invoked with  -MObjFPC -Scagi -CX -O3 -XX -vewnhi
-l -oawsbrowser-i386-linux-gtk2 -dLCL -dLCLgtk2

When building FPC I habitually use  -O- -gl  because of getting decent
backtraces on various platforms.

>> Should this have extra options to force everything possible in the LCL to be smartlinkable?
>
> No, AFAIK you don't need to specify anything special for the LCL build
> to get down to 1,5MB

I've very carefully avoided all non-standard controls and packages with
the intention that anybody should be able to grab a copy of Lazarus and
rebuild my source. No graphics, no embedded icons or bitmaps, a TreeView
and a ListBox with a splitter between them, custom .ini file handling
and bit of glue code and that's about it.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk