[Lazarus] New LCL-CustomDrawn mailling list

Marcos Douglas md at delfire.net
Wed Mar 21 19:15:34 CET 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
<felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Mark Morgan Lloyd
> <markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk> wrote:
>> Is this distinct from fpgui, or are the two related?
>
> I wrote 99% of the code from zero here, but I did copy (of course with
> many modifications) the X11 backend from
> sourceforge.net/projects/fpgfx/ which is the pre-2007 code from fpgui.
> I have always wanted to get rid of Gtk and move the LCL to a
> customdrawn solution, and already in 2006/2007 I worked for a short
> time in fpgui with exactly this aim (see
> http://www.ohloh.net/p/fpgui/contributors ), but gave up on it and
> from then on I worked mostly in the LCL native interfaces. Then MS
> killed WinCE which ment that I wasted years developing LCL-WinCE and
> saw it killed without a blink and this led me to reactivate my old
> idea, which always was the LCL running in a pure Pascal customdrawn
> toolkit which can support all major desktop and smartphone platforms.
> So I restarted from zero with the knowledge I acquired in the mean
> time and I steadly advanced. First building the TCD controls, then the
> entire regions system for capturing events and clipping the drawing,
> then wrote a non-native Canvas, then the Android backend, etc, etc,
> and I finally achieved what I always wanted since 2006 at least:
>
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Image:Lazclock_customdrawn.png
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Image:Custom_drawn_android_test1.png
>
> And in the end is what people really want: the full LCL running
> everywhere and they have it =) Right now my main focus is Android,
> because there is a really strong demand for this from the community
> and I am writing a native drawer to implement the Android look.
>
> For a comparison over the tecnical point of view see:
>
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Custom_Drawn_Interface#Comparison_of_LCL-CustomDrawn_and_LCL-fpGUI
>
> Ah, and the traditional invitation: patches are welcome =)

I not know CD and fpGUI as I know LCL/VCL, but I have one question:
If fpGUI has the same idea, i.e., custom draw widgets that have the
same appearance in any OS, why do not use it? Maybe a fork, if you do
not have the same ideas than Graeme.

Anyway, that's a good job. Congratulations.

Marcos Douglas