[Lazarus] Size of binaries etc.

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 11:09:02 CET 2012

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 21 March 2012 12:42, Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl.lazarus at ....> wrote:> A program built using (some version of) Delphi comes to about 317Kb, but> even with a manual strip the best I can do with Lazarus/FPC is pushing 3Mb.> Now for domestic consumption I can live with that, but I don't think it> looks very good if I publish binaries for download, and by the time I've got> to several different OSes, CPUs and widget sets it's taking a significant> amount of storage.
>
> LCL is a heavy-weight toolkit (memory and size). If size is a seriousissue, move over to a more "light weight" (here I mean size, notfeatures) toolkit where you can still get > 1MB executables. This is abig plus point for older WinCE devices where you only have 64-128MBuser storage. fpGUI toolkit seems popular on the WinCE platform forexactly this reason [gauging this from user feedback I have received].

NO. Definitely not, under the circumstances. As I've already said: what
I'm trying to do is showcase Lazarus for a community that is well-aware
of Pascal but does not so far have an FPC port, if somebody wants to
tinker with the programs I most definitely don't want him to have to
download a hodgepodge of external libraries and packages.

I'm by no means averse to something like fpGUI for local use,
particularly for Chumby-style appliances- provided obviously that
they're not swept into irrelevance by iPad and Android.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk