[Lazarus] ETL tool - make or use?

Andreas Schneider aksdb at gmx.de
Sat Mar 24 09:21:15 CET 2012

On Friday, March 23, 2012 20:05 Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> Always option 1.

> Because it always turns out you need to check for doubles and do updates;
> making self written code the most optimal tool. You always know your own
> data best of all.

> Michael.

I  can  only  confirm this. The division I work for develops their own
data  migration _framework_ which is then specialized for the specific
migration  project.  This  is done via customization (XML configs) and
Java code.

Since  each of the previous (and current) migrations required a lot of
data  validation, cleanup as well as changes to the data structures, a
run-of-the-mill  tool  would  have  probably caused a lot more trouble
than it would have solved.

So yes, I definitely also recommend the do-it-yourself approach :-)

--
Best Regards,
Andreas