[Lazarus] FPC & Lazarus installation including cross compiling from source

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 18:26:52 CEST 2012

On 27-3-2012 17:44, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> patspiper <patspiper at gmail.com> hat am 27. März 2012 um 17:17 geschrieben:
>
>> This is related to bug 0021580: Feature request: Robust IDE
> cross-compiling.
>>
>> With Lazarus 1.0 being closer than ever, and with the availability of
>> different Linux scripts to compile FPC from source (including cross
>> compilation), maybe the time has come to have an automated installer
>> that does all that, including the compilation of the cross binutils.
> That is one approach.
>
> Another is to use VMs.
>
> VMs are nowadays very easy to setup and they run almost as fast
> (sometimes even faster) as the host system.
>
> Installing/Upgrading all the required libs in a VM is much simpler than
> setting up these libs cross compiled.

Agreed with Mattias.

I would strongly recommend using VMs as well so that the level of
complexity/maintenance decreases.
Linux to Windows can be done, but the other way round is difficult.

Why invest time and effort in chasing a moving target (new libraries)
when you need to test on the target environment anyway?

I'd rather have some more people looking at e.g. database fixes ;)

Regards,
Reinier