[Lazarus] FCL-web and bandwidth usage

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 21:34:43 CEST 2012

2012/3/27 Michael Van Canneyt <michael at ...>:
> These applications must behave and act as a desktop application, this is a
> requirement. This is not possible without Javascript.
>
> Then you may ask, why not simply program a desktop application ?

LOL, you took the words (or rather question) right out of my mouth.

> Simple: people do not want an installer or updater.

With Object Pascal / Delphi based apps, it is quite possible to have a
no-installation required product. There are already many like them.
And just about every product has a "check for updates" feature, and
many of those do silent updates without the end-user ever knowing. So
in truth, web apps are just the "flavour of the month" for now - until
the next big thing. Lets hope I can get through this phase without a
client requesting a web app.

PS:
I've ported one of tiOPF's older Support Apps, which is a automatic
distribution and update system. This does exactly what I described
above. It even has a nice Release Management interface to define what
must be bundled in a release/auto install or update. Just a bit more
code clean-up and some vital documentation needs to be added, then
I'll make it available in the tiOPF repository.
If you can convince your customers not to be "web app lemmings", then
maybe this is your way back to desktop applications. :-)

  - Graeme -