[Lazarus] FPC & Lazarus installation including cross compiling from source

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 23:48:13 CEST 2012

On 28 March 2012 18:15, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 05:21:22PM +0200, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
>> > takes >40 mins (Core2 6600. Virtualbox with hardware virtualization
>> enabled)
>> Here it takes only a few minutes.
>
> With what on what? How is storage organized?

I've got a first generation Intel Quad Core 2.4Ghz system with 4GB RAM
and a SATA2 harddrive. My main (host) OS is Ubuntu Linux 10.04 64-bit.
I use VirtualBox 4.x. We have various VM sessions here covering all
the Windows versions from Win95 thru Windows7. We also have Ubuntu
8.04, 9.10 and 10.04. It's a mixed bag of 32bit and 64bit OSes. I
normally give each VM 1GB of memory, but for older OSes like Win2000 I
only give 512MB. Out of all the Windows VM's, I use Win2000 for
Windows development work, running Visual Studio (old version), VB6,
Delphi 7, Lazarus etc. Performance on any of these VM's are no slower
than running them on "real hardware", and they don't tend to slow down
my host system either (thanks to the quad core I think).

For a while I had a separate SCSI hard drive to host the VM hard drive
images, but that drive was too noisy, so I removed it from my system.

I used to run VMWare Workstation, but I found that much slower than
VirtualBox, and a lot more problematic to install under Linux. So now
we only use VirtualBox.

  - Graeme -