[Lazarus] Decision required WRT dragging

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Thu Mar 29 08:52:32 CEST 2012

Paul Ishenin schrieb:
> 28.03.12 23:23, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
>> Currently dragging is broken in the LCL, see Mantis #18525. Currently
>> any attempt to undock a docked window makes at least a Windows
>> application hang, in an unusable state, until a *different* application
>> is activated by the user.
>>
>> I see no reason why the submitted patch should not be applied, in order
>> to make the DragManager more robust. The patch only affects dragging
>> operations, has no effect when nothing is being dragged.
>
> Looks like the reasons were mentioned to you in the issue comments.

That's why I ask for more opinions.

> You
> are trying to remove the code which is there for a reason. The reason
> was also mentioned to you.

The reasons are wild guesses, that's why I ask for an proof.

> This is not the way to go - you are just
> trying to hide the problem instead of fixing it.

The problem is a the vulnerability of the DragManager, against bad
coding practice. The patch makes the DragManager less sensitive to such
errors, which (currently) can be made by everybody in his own code.

The current situation, and your arguments, read to the user like:

"We know that there exist bugs, and we know how to eliminate fatal
consequences, but we prefer to leave our code in unusable state."

DoDi