[Lazarus] FPC & Lazarus installation including cross compiling from source

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Thu Mar 29 23:05:48 CEST 2012

Sven Barth schrieb:
> Am 29.03.2012 14:37, schrieb Hans-Peter Diettrich:
>> Kjow schrieb:
>>>
>>> 3D video drivers are very bad on virtual OS, so is not possible to
>>> develop for 3D graphics on VirtualBox, VMWare, etc.
>>
>> Right, but why should somebody want to *develop* such applications for a
>> different platform, instead for the platform of his physical machine?
>> Herefore, and for other time-critical applications, a dual boot of the
>> target OS is the better choice.
>
> What if you need to develop for an OS that your platform does not
> support? E.g. (though not exactly fitting in context) developing an
> application for an older Windows version which does not boot on your
> super modern computer.
> Or developing for e.g. Mac OS X without having a
> Mac (Note: let's not talk about eventual problems regarding legalitiy
> here). Or writing a graphical application for an embedded device.

Please check your use cases for the need of hardware acceleration, like
for 3D graphics. And suggest better development environments. E.g. for
embedded devices you may be better off with an dedicated emulator,
instead of a VM.

> Also - in my opinion - dual booting breaks the workflow. I want to
> mainly work on one machine and maybe have others running in other
> windows (be it a VM or a RDP or VNC session).
>
> VMs are also important not for time critical stuff, but for low level
> stuff. E.g. I would not have wanted to develop the Native NT port of FPC
> without having a Windows OS (in my case ReactOS) running in a VM. ^^

I never doubted that VMs are usesul - I use them myself, and know about
their limitations.

DoDi