[Lazarus] Decision required WRT dragging

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Fri Mar 30 09:54:57 CEST 2012

Paul Ishenin schrieb:
> 30.03.12 5:24, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
>
>> So what should happen in such a case, where the developer didn't observe
>> the rules? Should it be considered a fatal bug, and raise an exception?
>
> It is a normal situation when something is docked and have DragKind <>
> dkDock even I have no chance do undock it by mouse. If it works so it
> means that developer make it work so.

At least the IDE developer had a different intention.

> It is useful in some situations
> and moreover I use this in my work projects when I want for example to
> integrate some form which may be a dialog in some cases into another
> form panel.
>
> So when form is manually docked with DragKind <> dkDock is not a bug in
> LCL and LCL should not change this property.

But it's required to make the IDE dockable.

> If you oversve that some docked form should be undocked via mouse in IDE
> please change this in IDE.

Not me :-(

>>> You need to find the control which changes the capture diring the drag
>>> and fix this control code.
>>
>> What do you need more than setting an breakpoint?
>
> Why should I do this if IDE docking has not 1.0 target?

Because it does not only affect the IDE, but dragging in general.
Consequently 1.0 will not properly support dragging, in all applications.

> That was your patch. The patch had target 0.99 and I reviewed it. The
> patch is wrong. If you want to fix IDE docking problems please submit
> another patch which does not break LCL behavior.

I'm tired of supplying patches which then are rejected, and searching
bugs in deliberately broken code. Docking worked fine in earlier Lazarus
versions.

DoDi