[Lazarus] @Mattias: dblib was Reminder: lovely new components for palette read for commit

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 10:58:57 CEST 2012

On 29-3-2012 15:00, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
> .... Already run on Windows; it's meanwhile been tested and approved by
> Ludo Brands on Linux.
>
> Anybody willing to apply it (optionally with less ugly icons) - or
> assign it to himself?

Mattias, thanks for applying.

You mentioned in the bug report that you wanted to include the example
programs but wondered if there's a way to do it without FreeTDS
dblib.dll (and its dependency, iconv*.dll).
Can't comment in the bug itself, as it is closed.

As far as I know: no. There might be a Microsoft-supplied dblib.dll but
that must have been very old. Can't find it in a SQL Server 2008 Express
install. Think I also searched on a regular SQL Server 2008 and Sybase
15 install.

Adding the samples with a readme stating users have to download/install
the FreeTDS libraries seems to be a sane alternative.

FYI, Marco v.d. Voort did indicate in the related FPC bug (17303 not
21571 as I had indicated in the bug report, sorry):
"I don't think FPC should go into the third party DLL building and
distributing business.

Sure, we can put the DLL in contrib/ if the license allows. "
Don't know what contrib/ is; presumably an SVN URL?

The FreeTDS license is LGPL:
http://www.freetds.org/faq.html#license

Thanks,
Reinier