[Lazarus] Strange dependency of units

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Sat Mar 31 19:41:05 CEST 2012

Mattias Gaertner schrieb:
 > You made the mistake to use grids without an implementation (e.g. LCL
interfaces).

Implementation? What's this again? It's no longer enough to use a unit?
Sorry, but it seems that there is a very steep learning curve even for
former (Turbo..) Pascal programmers.
I have to learn a lot just to be able to program with Lazarus. It seems
to be for long term nerds only.
It has become nearly as complicated as C and relatives.

 > I'm not sure what you did not understand about the concept of
"abstract method".

Everything. If it leads to such results this concept seems to be not
very good.

 > The LCL "interfaces" is just one possible implementation. Theoretically
 > you can implement another one. At the moment the LCL unit "interfaces"
 > is the only supported one.

Shouldn't these dependencies somehow be handled by the compiler/linker?
Why is the programmer bothered with it? There could be a default
"implementation" that would be used in these cases. Now the programmer
has to investigate in the concept *and* how Lazarus/FPC handles it. Not
very convenient.