[Lazarus] Embarcadero vs Lazarus/FPC (Oracle vs Google)

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Tue May 8 10:20:32 CEST 2012

Am 08.05.2012 10:15, schrieb Mark Morgan Lloyd:
>> Well, not verbatim. There are differences.
>>
>> Now, if he so judges, that would mean the end of the wine, samba and
>> many other open or closed source projects.
>>
>> I suspect that this would be taken to a higher court by the FSF and
>> other organisations as Redhat, Linux.org.
>>
>> They would all have to close shop after such a ruling.
>
> Although I think that people would argue that the unix API was based on
> work which has ended up in the public domain, and has been extended in
> ways that are obvious to anybody "skilled in the art".
>
> Superficially, Oracle can't wreck Linux since they sell an
> implementation. However they also own Solaris, and since their high-end
> kit works better with Solaris than with Linux my own feeling is that
> they'd like more people to use it.

It's not about Oracle wrecking everyone, but companies that originally
developed some API wrecking those that reimplemented it. Especially the
Wine or ReactOS projects are "good" candidates for this (as Samba and
Mono cooperate more or less with Microsoft I don't see that much
problems for them).

Regards,
Sven