[Lazarus] Embarcadero vs Lazarus/FPC (Oracle vs Google)

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Tue May 8 14:17:03 CEST 2012

On 8-5-2012 14:07, Andrew Brunner wrote:
> Folllow the logic.  This trial is about theft.  It's not about the API.
> Having API files that include verbatim code issued by Oracle are issued
> under a pretense.  That pretense is what binds users of Java code to
> the licencing of the API by Oracle.
>
> Oracle is telling google that that it is UNACCEPTABLE for google to take
> creative ownership over Java.  This problem goes far beyond copying of
> some API.  Google as made and Oracle product - and Oracle is not happy.
>
> FPC and it's core design have been around prior
> to Embarcadero's purchase of Delphi from Inprise.  At the point of
> purchase Embarcadero was responsible for objecting to FPC
> and they could have avoided said purchase.
>
> Both FPC and Lazarus predate Embarcadero's Delphi.  So any verbatim code
> copying would have to be relatively recent.   Since Lazarus  is cross
> platform, only Windows based widgets would be the source of ANY
> potential threat to ligation.  So Lazarus worst case scenero is that
> only PART of the project could EVER be called into question.
>
> If they ever had a problem with say the Windows widgets I suspect the
> community at large would defend this project tooth and nail and a suit
> against Lazarus or FPC would probably cost them BIGTIME in PR points.
>
> Recent versions of Delphi come with some parts FPC or Lazarus, this fact
> alone says signals their acceptance of FPC and Lazarus.
>
> IMO, it is Embarcadero  that would be worred about the Free software
> foundation come after them for the use of code by Lazarus or FPC.
I don't agree with many of your standpoints/reasoning, but us in this
list arguing about these things won't help much I think... let's first
see what the judge over there says.

Also, as others have said, I think FPC/Lazarus wouldn't be the only ones
with a sudden problem; ReactOS, Samba, Wine, Ghostscript, perhaps those
Windows wireless card Linux driver writers (if you understand what I
mean) may all be in the same boat.

> Lastly, API stands for Application Programming Interface.  So in order
> to Interface with an API, both sides of the code MUST be identical.
That's certainly true... although variable names could differ I suppose ;)