[Lazarus] Improve message dialog

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 9 15:15:00 CEST 2012

Hi Martin,

On 9 May 2012 14:50, Martin <lazarus at mfriebe.de> wrote:

> - Does everyone know of the "inspect" window?  (And that watches have a
> context menu entry, to display them in the inspect window.

My Lazarus (trunk) is about one month old so maybe this has already
been fixed, but here are three immediate problems I experience with
the Inspect Window.

1)  Grid columns don't auto size to the data even though there is lots
of empty space on the right. I have to manually resize the last grid
column to see data.
2)  Clipping of data. Pretty much the same as the original problem
reported here, and which
    the treeview patch solves. There is no horizontal scrollbar, so I
can't see all my data.
3) Vertical scrolling with the scrollbar doesn't scroll the grid until
you release
    the mouse button. I can't start to describe how annoying I find
such non-tracking
    behaviour.

What exactly does the Inspect window do better that the Watches
window? As far as I can see the Watches window is superior.

NOTE: I'm not saying the Watches window is perfect, there is still
place for improvement - formatting of TDateTime values, and the
inclusion of the treeview patch would do wonders. That, with the
existing ability to watch multiple variables/objects, pretty much
rendering the Inspect window obsolete.

  - Graeme -