[Lazarus] Improve message dialog

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Wed May 9 15:35:33 CEST 2012

On 09/05/2012 14:15, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> On 9 May 2012 14:50, Martin<lazarus at mfriebe.de>  wrote:
>> - Does everyone know of the "inspect" window?  (And that watches have a
>> context menu entry, to display them in the inspect window.
>
> My Lazarus (trunk) is about one month old so maybe this has already
> been fixed, but here are three immediate problems I experience with
> the Inspect Window.
Well thanks for the feedback, very valuable...

> 1)  Grid columns don't auto size to the data even though there is lots
> of empty space on the right. I have to manually resize the last grid
> column to see data.
Not yet, but now that there is some feedback, that can be fixed.

> 2)  Clipping of data. Pretty much the same as the original problem
> reported here, and which
>      the treeview patch solves. There is no horizontal scrollbar, so I
> can't see all my data.
This is a combination of point 1 and 2? If the column was autosized,
then there would be.

> 3) Vertical scrolling with the scrollbar doesn't scroll the grid until
> you release
>      the mouse button. I can't start to describe how annoying I find
> such non-tracking
>      behaviour.
Very true.

Never noticed. For me most values fit (numeric, bool, enum). But yes
strings, sets , methods need scrolling

> What exactly does the Inspect window do better that the Watches
> window? As far as I can see the Watches window is superior.
The inspect and watches have different purpose...

This is about comparing the treeview and the (fixed) inspect grid

So the questions are (if the grid is fixed):

1) what is the preferred display:
- treeview
- grid
One thing, that I believe should be fixed (but does not have to be a
hold back) is that methods use many lines (http://imagebin.org/211658 )
FOnSubstitution uses 10 lines. Imho using 1 (scrollable) line in the
grid is much better.

2) If grid
- use current inspect window (and dockmanager, if people want)
- use new grid