[Lazarus] Just finished SQLdb Tutorial3 - request for corrections for 3, 2 & 1

Reinier Olislagers reinierolislagers at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 14:31:01 CET 2012

Hi list,

I've just finished writing SQL DB Tutorial3
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/SQLdb_Tutorial3

At least for now, I think I'm about done editing/adding db tutorials
because it's a lot of work and my GUI (db) fu is not that strong anyway.

What I would like to do is to get the tutorial programs into Lazarus as
example programs that refer to the wiki pages - hopefully that may cause
more people to look at them and can be used in any case to refer people
to when they're stuck.

The first tutorial instructs readers to use the Firebird employee
database (or how to adapt part of it to PostgreSQL, sqlite or other
database)... then that one and the other 2 build on that schema.
(If you'd prefer to take out the schema setup and put it into a separate
"tutorial0/preparation" page, fine by me.)

I'd like to ask you to correct/update the wiki if you spot problems.
Fixes/updates to the  code (in case of tutorial3) are of course also
welcome.

The other 2 pages are linked to in the 3rd tutorial.

Thanks to the original authors of sqldb tutorial1 which I merely started
tweaking, never knowing where it would end up...

I'll have a look in some time to see if I can package up the example
programs for inclusion into Lazarus.

Regards,
Reinier

PS: Have been thinking having some standard db schema could be useful
when submitting Laz bug reports as well though conceivably the fpc
dbtestframework db could be used but that one's dynamically built and
destroyed, hard to write a Laz test program for....