[Lazarus] Displaying Xterm does not allow to debug

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Fri Nov 2 01:56:56 CET 2012

On 02/11/2012 00:34, ik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If I set in "Run Parameters" to display XTerm, Lazarus does not allow
> me to debug the code.
> For example setting a break point does not have an effect (but if you
> do not display the terminal, then it does stop at the break point).
>
> Is this a bug, or a feature ?
>
> I'm using: Lazarus 1.1 r39183M FPC 2.6.0 x86_64-linux-gtk 2

If you put xterm (or any other) in run params, then gdb gets to debug
xterm, instead of your app (xterm forks a process for your app, and gdb
does not follow that)

1) If it is for the console only, the IDE (on linux) has a console
window (view / debug windows) It does input to, focus it and type

2) If you need to run it in xterm, you can start it outside the IDE, and
attach (svn trunk only)

3) No idea if it will work, never tried it is said to be limited to some
platforms only. ( http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/gdb/gdb_26.html )
   set follow-fork-mode child
you can put it in the debugger_startup_param (the OI grid on the
debugger options page) using
   -ex 'set follow-fork-mode child'

4) you can run a xterm, and get the pty for it. you can enter that pty
on the debugger options (oi grid) "ConsoleTty"
You should run something else in the xterm, so the shell is not reacting
to keystrokes (input)