[Lazarus] TDBNavigator icons break symmetry

Bart bartjunk64 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 21:43:52 CEST 2012

On 10/3/12, Graeme Geldenhuys <graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk> wrote:

> On 2012-10-03 11:45, Bart wrote:
>>
>> For Delphi compatibility (where you cannot assign an imagelist to the
>> control) we should probably derive a new TCustomizableDBNavigator from
>> TDBCustomNavigator?
>
> How would that solve the problem. You still wouldn't have shared code
> between Delphi and Lazarus. Also having a completely new class, would
> mean a lot more IFDEF in your code - something I like to avoid at all
> costs.

If I drop a TDBNavigator on a form and have code like

DBNavigator.VisibleButtons := [nbFirst,nbPrior,nbNext,nbLast];

My form (renamed to .dfm) and my unit would still compile on Delphi.
(Mind you: there is no need to keep the LCL libraries compilable in
Delphi, so no need for {ifdef}'s there)

Choosing a component in my program that does not exist in Delphi will
makse my program incompatible with Delphi, but that would be a design
decision then. Which IMO is an entirely diferent scenario.

FWIW: I don't mind if "we" allow this kind of extensions on VCL components.
I have dropped Delphi permanently since 0.9.26 (I think).

Bart