[Lazarus] Please define "delphi compatibility"

Chavoux Luyt chavoux at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 00:17:23 CEST 2012

I would also like some clarification on this question. I think
personally that it should be a one-way conversion process... i.e. it
should be possible to port/import any Delphi project into Lazarus
without problems, but not necessarily the other way round.

One possible way to implement it is to create the exact same "base
class" for all the Delphi components and then have the Lazarus (LCL)
components inherit from these base classes.The descendent classes can
then have all the nice-to-have feature like extra properties etc. that
we want in Lazarus (or just be an exact copy of its parent class if no
change is required). In this case it might even be possible to port
back from Lazarus to Delphi, as long as you only use the "base class"
components and not the LCL inherited classes.

But I think FPC might have a similar problem with the Delphi language
that has already changed a bit from the original. What is the the
situation on that side?

Cheers
Chavoux