[Lazarus] How to clone a component

patspiper patspiper at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 08:57:36 CEST 2012

On 04/10/12 09:19, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 00:33:07 +0300
> patspiper <patspiper at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What is the correct way to clone programmatically a component, ie assign
>> all its properties to another component of the same class (like the IDE
>> designer's copy/paste)?
>>
>> The code below used to work in Delphi but does not with Lazarus (result
>> is nil).
>>       RegisterClass(TMyComponent);
>>       Clipboard.SetComponent(MyComponent);
>>       Result:= TMyComponent(Clipboard.GetComponent(Self, Self));
> It should work in Lazarus too.
It does not. It seems due to the fact that TClipboard.GetComponent uses
pcfComponent while TClipboard.SetComponent uses pcfCustomData instead.
Substituting pcfCustomData by pcfComponent did the job, but then the
copied (original) component seems to lose its events. I will test
further and report.

Stephano