[Lazarus] Please define "delphi compatibility"

Chavoux Luyt chavoux at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 09:15:55 CEST 2012

Guys

I think we might be getting slightly off-track. Am I right in saying that
the consensus seems to be that Delphi compatibility is basically one-way?
I.e. from Delphi to Lazarus, but not necessarily the other way round? If we
make extensions to the the IDE that does not exist in Delphi, I can see no
other option.

The only alternative I can think of is if we keep for example a "Delphi
compatible" TDBNavigator without the ImageList that can be used by those
who want to be able to port their Lazarus project to Delphi. (So we might
have a "Delphi compatible" tab for those components where the default
Lazarus components have been improved/extended in ways that cannot be
ported back to Delphi. (Or alternatively put all the "extended" components
in their own tab instead). Is this worth the while?

Cheers
Chavoux
P.S. I am speaking just as a Lazarus user and not the one (or more) who
would need to implement this compatibility. :-)