[Lazarus] Alternatives to WinCE (Windows Mobile)

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 1 11:45:38 CEST 2012

On 31.08.2012 10:12, Tommi Prami wrote:
> And hey...
>
> I don't mean that I won't appreciate the work done!!! All the fixes and
> work has been very valuable...
>
> Just that if WinCE would be very robust on Lazarus (Like really at
> productionuse level) it would need quite an push, and what I looked at
> it, it is really out of my league, no matter how much I would like to
> help on this...

LCL-WinCE is productive enough. Some rough edges here and there, but
besides that it works. If you want to target Windows Mobile easily I
would stay with LCL-WinCE instead of using yet another abstraction layer
like Qt on WinCE. First LCL-Qt on WinCE is not really tested and also
the Qt devs might also be likely to decrease or even stop development on
WinCE...

> In general (not mentioned as insult ;) ) I think Lazarus should reduce
> the "supported" Widgetsets etc. If something is not top notch quality it
> should be dropped or marked as some kind of an official hobby projet or
> something like that. Just because Lazarus is an Huge system along with
> the FPC.  So us that are not inside the project and hacking it in and
> out could see more clearly where to go with it. To choose right
> widgetset...

The activity on WinCE is already rather low (though not as much as on
GTK 1). So besides keeping it compiling and happy there isn't much time
going in anyways.

Regards,
Sven