[Lazarus] Feature request: Single-file mode

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 15:35:39 CEST 2012

See this forum discussion for context:
http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,17932.msg102309.html#msg102309

Below is the relevant portion of my post:

Finally, I have closely related, but more complex, request --
introduce "Single-file mode" into Lazarus,
where Lazarus does not create .lpi and .lps files, stores executable
and object file
in the same directory as source, and does not save desktop settings.
This mode can be triggered by either command line switch:
"lazarus.exe --single homework.lpr",
special directive in source:
{%singlefileproject},
or a heuristic:
enter single-file mode when passed a project name from command line,
and corresponding .lpi and .lps files do not exist.
"Project" menu item should be disabled/hidden in this mode.

The main use case, besides obvious beginner education, is competitive
programming,
where in a typical contest participant may need to create 5-12
single-file projects in a time period of 3 to 5 hours.

--
Alexander S. Klenin