[Lazarus] Proprietary vs Open Source mentality

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Mon Sep 3 09:05:25 CEST 2012

On 03/09/12 03:15, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> First of all, this topic should go into Lazarus-other.

Sorry, I forgot that list existed.

> Apart from licensing issues, which may require to keep the source
> closed, why should somebody ever open up his own source code?

That's the whole point. He is giving his IDE add-ons away for FREE. He
is *not* making money off it. If he was selling the IDE add-ons, then
obviously I would understand. What he is doing is similar to GExperts. I
believe it was a GExperts developer asking if his work could be merged,
and he said no.

I just don't see [in such a case] what the benefit is to the developer
to keep his work closed sourced.

> ...while earning your living otherwise :-]

You're missing my point.

   Graeme.