[Lazarus] Process ID

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Sep 13 18:04:50 CEST 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 09:08:19AM +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> > So be fair, I don't think I have ever come across a Linux distro that
> > doesn't include the ps binary as standard. And I have used Linux since
> > 1996. Even *BSD and *Solaris include the ps binary as standard too.
>
> Yes, but the ps parameters vary. I'm using this stuff in my FPC build
> script on Linux and Solaris.

> Can anybody say what the xBSD situation is? What's in /proc/nnn ?

In BSD /proc/<a pid> contains

[marcov at dragon ~]$ ls /proc/44539
cmdline ctl     etype   file    map     rlimit  status
[marcov at dragon ~]$

but afaik BSDs can turn /proc off, and this is commonly done so on servers.

/proc is only a SysV compatibility feature there,
most BSD-own tools work via other interfaces (like sysctl(3))

Turning it off is getting rarer though (probably linux converging).