[Lazarus] Persistent Blocks and Search, revisited

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Sat Sep 15 15:07:47 CEST 2012

On 15/09/2012 13:40, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:
> Am 2012-09-15 14:31, schrieb Martin:
> >> Why that? In general, the cursor position is completely independend
> from a peristent block if I invoke search.
> > It says "text at caret" not "word at caret". The determinations of
> the boundaries are not described.
>
> I didn't say anything about boundaries. I only asked, why the block
> selection is related to the search default when the block is a
> persistent block. This is completely illogical and unintuitive. The
> block maybe somewhere out of view of the user and is still used as
> search default? Who wants such a behaviour? And for what reason?

Which is why I said it should/could be limited to only if the caret is
in/at the block.

> >> I don't want to pay attention to this. It should work the same *all
> the time* (not only if the cursor is outside the block). The cursor
> only should decide about the search default (in all cases). Just
> ignore the block (if persistent).
> > In that case I am happy to accept a patch for an option.
>
> Who wants the current behaviour? I doubt that anybody does. It is
> completely illogical for persistent blocks (it may have some merit for
> non-persistent blocks but not when blocks are persistent).

Your opinion... And maybe the opinion of others.

Anyway. I told you:
- What I will do on my own (no patch needed). For all else, I have a
huge list of things that to me have a higher priority.
- What patches I will accept.

If an other developer will implement something else, or accept other
patches, that is fine.