[Lazarus] Version info

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Mon Sep 17 17:29:30 CEST 2012

On 17/09/12 15:57, Alexsander Rosa wrote:
> software, I usually add a "--version" command line option.
> When called with "--version" the program outputs the version and terminate.

Same here. Under Linux, that is all you can do (as far as I know). No
desktop environment (like KDE, Gnome, XFCE etc) has a "Version
Information" tab in the file properties.

As for libraries, Linux (and most *nix systems) have a well established
naming convention where the version number is part of the filename. I
find this actually better than Windows - thus you can have multiple
versions installed at the same time.

eg:
    libfbclient-2.0.so
    libfbclient-2.5.2.so