[Lazarus] Version info

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Tue Sep 18 11:52:38 CEST 2012

On 18/09/12 10:35, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> Yeah, those options are pretty pointless on any platform - except
>> Windows.
>
> Let's make absolutely certain we're "on the same page": Options for
> Project: x -> Version info.

Yes, that's the info I'm talking about. In Windows you can right click
on a file, select Properties, and then see the Version Information tab
with all that details. Even the embedded icon in the resources is used
as the default icon in Windows Explorer, on the desktop etc.

Under Linux (KDE, Gnome, XFCE etc) there is no application that can pull
such information out of a ELF binary. Under Linux, icons are separate
PNG (or xpm) files. In Nautilus (Gnome) or Dolphin (KDE) or Thunar
(XFCE) you can right click on those executables, but there will be NO
version information being displayed anywhere.

Only FPC written and compiled programs couldn't exact that information
for FPC written and compiled programs. No linux distro ships with FPC
written and compiled programs.

So like I said, that information is pretty pointless to Linux systems.

The Version Info is only handy, when you want to set the version
information [to be displayed under Windows], while you might be
developing that app under a Linux environment.

Regards,
   - Graeme -