[Lazarus] OT: beginner question about best way to develop

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Fri Apr 5 18:15:26 CEST 2013

On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 16:36:17 +0100
Graeme Geldenhuys <graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk> wrote:

> On 2013-04-05 16:07, Lubos Pintes wrote:
> > svn diff >patch.txt
> > However, my test patch contains files I never touched, and I don't
> > understand why.
>
> New Lazarus revisions sometimes triggers rebuilding of translation files
> (the *.po files).

Yes. Although in this case that is not the only change (see
ide/ide.pas).

> To fix your issue. Simply specify the exact file, in the 'svn diff'
> command you want to create a patch for. Unfortunately svn is a bit
> stupid and does all or nothing. So if you have multiple unrelated
> changes in a single file, they are all going to end up in the same
> patch. :-/

You can specify the files with svn.

> Alternatively, use the Git repository. Then you can use 'git gui' (a
> graphical tool included with a Git install) where you can clearly and
> easily see the files that changed. You can view the diffs, and can even
> break a lot of changes in a single file, into smaller patches (commits),
> by selecting the changed lines and only commit that. Then generate patch
> files off your local commits (with 'git format-patch origin/upstream').
>  The Lazarus wiki has more details on the Git mirror repositories and
> work-flows.

Such micro management is probably the reason for the big diff.
Some developer has committed only those files he changed, but not the
files that the IDE updated automatically. Then an user updates,
rebuilds, the IDE automatically updates the files and the user gets the
big diffs.

Mattias