[Lazarus] Hints for Android

dev.dliw at gmail.com dev.dliw at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 18:22:03 CEST 2013

Hi,

1. Google Playstore
http://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/113468?hl=en

"You must register to be able to distribute your products through Google Play. There
is a one time $25 registration fee charged for a Google Play Developer Console
account."

2. Android development
I myself used fpc-jvm, its really great to see it working on a real device - really good
job..
... but for starters it's really the best thing to start with java as there are much more
information / samples / docs around...
Eclipse with google's adb is a good IDE [although somewhat slow :) ] to develop and
debug android apps...

The main problem I had with fpc-jvm is, that:
- naming makes you think "around two corners", especially when trying to understand
a java sample and writing pascal code
eg. Android.Widget.Button becomes AWButton

- Code becomes really un-pascalish as one has (?) to use java types, you have to
write things like
---
JLString(' am' +
String(ATFDateFormat.getDateFormat(self).format(JUDate.Create(start)).toString)
);
----and "this Pascal" has no advantage over Java :)

Did someone make a different experience?

Btw.
Is it possible to mix Pascal and Java?
Let's say I have logic already there in Pascal and want to use it for an Android app -
can I mix code at "class level" ?

Oh - with the latest development in the android-ndk this looks really promising, too -
but I didn't use NativeActivity yet...

d.l.i.w