[Lazarus] What is most Lazarus Friendly Linux Distro

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Tue Apr 16 10:39:42 CEST 2013

On 16/04/13 08:04, Kostas Michalopoulos wrote:
> Similar to what Graeme suggested, except for Ubuntu: install the
> libgtk2.0-dev (and the requirements),

The problem there being, if you install on a system that doesn't have
internet, you can't install the libgtk2.0-dev (the X11 and GTK2
requirements), libXft-devel (for anti aliased font support),
libQtxxx-dev (for Qt work) etc.. The requirements is a hefty download -
after the OS install.

My point with Slackware was that after you do the OS install, there is
no extra install requirements for development work. So offline installs
work just as good.

But yes, if you have internet access, Ubuntu works well too - I have
used it as my development system for many years. In fact, Ubuntu 5.10
all the way to Ubuntu 10.04

> ~/Code/lazarus) and inside it type 'make bigide' (you don't need to do an
> install since you can run it from there with

Yes, that was a typo (habit from FreeBSD). 'make bigide' is all that I
do too, and then run Lazarus from inside the source checkout directory.

Regards,
  - Graeme -