[Lazarus] Sharing of large files

Kostas Michalopoulos badsectoracula at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 11:02:01 CEST 2013

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 5:25 PM, Andrew Brunner <atbrunner at aurawin.com>wrote:

> I disagree.  I think most people are willing to think different. The first
> come first serve is probably best disproved by MySpace vs Facebook and in
> turn Facebook vs Google.  People are free to make choices.  Otherwise you
> will have nothing but stagnation.

I didn't meant that people wouldn't go to another service, but it is true
that Dropbox has a lot of inertia and the alternatives do not offer
anything important to switch. Personally in all cases i know, they offer
worse - Dropbox is available in all major desktop OSes and mobile
platforms, has a very simple and intuitive setup and website, integrates
with the desktop even if you use something non-mainstream like Linux with
LXDE, has very good network usage with delta compression and such which is
very important if you use 3G, etc... i simply haven't seen all these
features combined in other similar services.

And with the folder sharing and the last feature they added with APIs for
developers to use they're also developing a strong "network effect" which
will make it harder for people to switch to somewhere else.

Also i'm not sure if people *always* switch to better alternatives. Case in
point: ICQ vs MSN. When MSN was introduced, ICQ was superior. But MSN came
with Windows :-).