[Lazarus] What is most Lazarus Friendly Linux Distro

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Tue Apr 16 12:53:03 CEST 2013

On 16/04/13 11:25, Juha Manninen wrote:
> I think I wanted to ask about the dependencies.
> IIRC it has no package system that takes care of dependencies automatically.

Slackware not having strict dependency checking is a blessing, not a
downfall. Also, Slackware comes with more libraries that most distros,
so often all dependencies are already met. So even if you use the
Slackware build system (similar to FreeBSD ports collection), things
work without fuss.

My issue with automatic dependencies are many. eg; under Ubuntu (and
Debian), I can't install FlameRobin (Firebird Database Management
system) without it forcefully installing it's own version of the
Firebird Client Library - often an old client too. eg: Firebird 2.5 was
out for 2+ years, and Ubuntu still forcefully installed the 2.1 client
library when I installed Flamerobin - yet FlameRobin (and all other
Firebird apps) run happily with the 2.5 client library, which I
installed manually from the Firebird website.

Now the Firebird client library might not be so much of an issue, but
the Firebird server is - often being forced to have two version of
Firebird server installed. Then you also have other source code related
applications that install older versions of SubVersion or Git - where I
much rather run the latest Git version directly from the originating
project website. Then try and uninstall the older versions and see how
package management software barks at you, and threatens to uninstall
everything else that depends on it too. :-(

Closer to home... the FPC and Lazarus versions in Ubuntu, Debian etc
repositories are always out of date - often 1-2 release behind. Now with
Lazarus's shorter release cycle, that issue is even worse.

Hence I like FreeBSD and Slackware build systems. They will go fetch the
latest source code directly from the original authors, unpack and patch
them (if know bugs exist), often allow you to configure some
functionality of the software, then build and install it.

Again, my needs are obviously very different to most Ubuntu or Debian
users - so such issues go unnoticed by them. Your mileage my vary of
course. Choosing an OS is a very personal choice (unless you run a Mac -
then Apple decides for you). :)

Regards,
  - Graeme -