[Lazarus] What is most Lazarus Friendly Linux Distro

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 00:13:09 CEST 2013

On 4/18/13, Flávio Etrusco <flavio.etrusco at gmail.com> wrote:
> IIRC Lazarus's own deb packages didn't follow Debian guidelines and
> that was the excuse for Lazarus being so outdated on Debian? (sorry, I
> may be completely wrong, and I can't find the discussion right now)
> If that's not it, what's the official explanation? Does anybody keep
> in touch with the Debian (project) package maintainers?

I also remember a debate long time ago. I though the problem got
solved. Maybe not.

> And why is Lazarus own repository (e.g.
> http://freepascal.dfmk.hu/test/lazarus/dists/) out-of-date? They gave
> a much better user experience than dowloading and installing a lot of
> debs, not to mention the upgrade.
> All the (Linux) people I refer to Lazarus always complain about the
> installation procedure...

Ok, that one is outdated! It should be removed if nobody updates it.
Fortunately Mattias has made single .deb packages for both Lazarus and FPC.
For example i386 is here:
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus Linux i386
DEB/Lazarus 1.0.8/
All 3 needed packages in one place. Easy to download and install.

The new web page will have a button with automatic recognition for
client OS and gives the right packages.

Juha