[Lazarus] documentation snapshot

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Sun Apr 21 14:35:58 CEST 2013

Marco van de Voort wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 09:23:30AM +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>>> Unless your internet goes down... like what happened to me on Thursday.
>>> And I live in a first world country (finally) - but not even such
>>> countries are immune to internet outages.
>> First world? I thought you were in England? **
>
> Location has nothing to do with it. For work, I visit a lot of factories,
> and while some might have some wireless in office area, the workfloor has
> none.  And even if they have, if one only visits occasionally, getting
> credentials is usually too bureacratic.

Actually, location has a lot to do with it. The UK (Conservative)
government made a political decision to force ISPs onto NGN (21CN), the
UK (Labour) government manipulated things so that the business went to
Cisco and Huawei rather than to Marconi who were supplying the existing
telecoms infrastructure, and the UK government (Conservative) continues
to turn a blind eye to the fact that the dominant network has no
resilience since it was rolled out before any network management
infrastructure was in place. Let's just say that we see a bit more
detail on routing issues etc. than most users do...

So I sympathise with people who temporarily find themselves unable to
use wireless etc. due to local management issues, but the "Internet
going down", i.e. there being no connectivity to a site, is something
different that, sadly, UK users have to live with. And that's why we pay
for connections to three different networks.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk