[Lazarus] RAD Studio XE4 Released?

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Thu Apr 25 10:40:49 CEST 2013

On 2013-04-25 07:25, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> Well, slow and memory hungry may be, but portability is achieved to
> every .NET enabled platform.

WinForms is not 100% portable via Mono (last I checked). I wouldn't go
that route either because Microsoft will be on your case when it suits
them - and probably just when your product becomes successful.

> But it isn't true that the new IDE is written in .NET,

I didn't mean the whole IDE. Just parts: help system, editor, form
designer, language tool in editor (like what CodeTools is). But that
sure makes it about 70% of what an IDE is.

> Failing to encourage this move will force most current Delphi coders to
> use better supported development environments, most likely C#.

Java seems way more lucrative to me... The Java eco-system is massive,
and that also opens the doors to Android (which is also Java and the
biggest mobile platform). But that's just me thinking out loud.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/