[Lazarus] [newbie question] how to make resizable tmemo?

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 30 20:43:51 CEST 2013

On 30.04.2013 19:50, waldo kitty wrote:

> in the recent playing around with the code in the "flicker" thread, i
> wanted to make the tmemo automatically resize to fit the form when it is
> resized and to keep the button where i placed it and visible... the
> align and alignment options confuse this old boy as does much of the GUI
> world of coding... i had some luck with a groupbox but it wasn't
> satisfactory...
>
> can someone please explain, in very simple terms and steps, how to
> accomplish this? i have no delphi books available and what i have looked
> at online has only served to confuse me further :/

The Anchors and Align properties are what you need here. Align allows
you to tell a control to always stay at the top/left/right/bottom or to
always fill the remaining client area that these controls leave. With
Anchors you can basically "pin" a side to its parent (e.g. a form or a
panel). So by setting a memo's anchors for all for sides to true (or
setting in code the anchors to [akLeft, akTop, akRight, akBottom]) will
result in the memo resizing with the underlying control (e.g. the form).

For more (also advanced) information you can (and maybe even should)
take a look here: http://wiki.freepascal.org/Autosize_/_Layout

Regards,
Sven