[Lazarus] Congrats on the new project options screen

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Aug 7 11:43:52 CEST 2013

martin wrote:

>> Using 2.6.2 on Linux, trunk (with bigide) currently doesn't build on
>> SPARC or PPC unless PascalScript and EditorMacroScript are hacked out.
>> I can't currently test ARM, MIPS etc.
>
> what errors does the compiler give?  IIRC they used to compile and work
> on ppc

I'll check and report back later. I think that the last Lazarus version
I had running was 1.0.4, which predates those components.

> btw, what OS? and are there any good instructions how to get it/them
> going under qemu?

Linux, Debian, in most cases "Lenny" + KDE + gtk2. A word of explanation
there before I'm accused of wilfully using obsolete operating systems:
there are outstanding bugs that have remained unfixed for several years
in Debian SPARC, which affect not only KDE but also XFCE etc. I'm happy
enough to use newer versions headless (i.e. no graphical stuff on them
at all), but the triage principle has forced me to draw a line for
desktop systems.

I've never tried running SPARC or PPC on Qemu, since I've got real
hardware (I'm expecting to get my hands on some more Macs tomorrow,
which will give me more chance of testing OS X occasionally). However
I've generally found that the notes I put at
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Qemu_and_other_emulators are tolerant
of different guest systems, some of the stuff is a bit of a non-standard
hack but it works for me.

I must add that real SPARC systems are cheap, even relative to how much
cash I'm able to throw at this sort of thing.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk