[Lazarus] Congrats on the new project options screen

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Wed Aug 7 23:01:39 CEST 2013

On 8/7/2013 16:23, Juha Manninen wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 11:00 PM, Mattias Gaertner
> <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de>  wrote:
>> Running "fpc -i" and "fpc -h" takes on recent machines less than 30ms.
>> Something eats a lot of time. Probably the creation of hundreds of
>> controls.
>
> Actually yes, creating the controls still takes longer than "fpc -i" + "fpc -h".
> Its was very slow until I added the DisableAutoSizing /
> EnableAutoSizing, but now it is fast in my machine.
> I think it is directly proportional to CPU speed.

as an aside, i've been working with another non-FPC/Lazarus project in the last
weeks... updating from an old no longer supported one to a forked and updated
one... in this case, it is a php based genealogy app... the import of data from
the old version to the new version took 15 hours to run on the dual PIII 800mhz
512M RAM server... part of the bottle neck there was the mysql config and coming
from the myisam format into the innodb format... the mysql config on that
machine was the defaults and so not optimized for any real work for innodb so it
was very slow... one of the comments i made when others were saying that it
should have gone a lot faster was that if one truly wants to ensure that their
applications are optimized and speedy is to run them on older slower machines...
if they can make them run fast on those boxes, they will be faster than greased
lightening on the newer stuff ;)

> I must work on the grid GUI soon.

it will be welcomed with open arms no matter what you come up with... as long as
it works and is fast enough :)

if i can find a way to time the process, i would like to add timing stats to my
scripted updatelaz routine... i prefer to use what is available in the system
but i'm not aware of anything for this... if i were able to get 4NT running the
way i want it to, i would have this capability... this comment being about
timing the entire "make clean, tortoise svn update, make all" run on this box...
just for grins, ya know? ;)