[Lazarus] Congrats on the new project options screen

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Fri Aug 9 02:25:16 CEST 2013

On 8/7/2013 16:45, Juha Manninen wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 11:18 PM, waldo kitty<wkitty42 at windstream.net>  wrote:
>> as noted upstream in this thread...
>>
>> w2k-SP4 with all available updates
>> AMD Athlon XP 2800+
>> 768M RAM
>>
>> and the HD is a WDC WD300BB (at this time)...
>
> Yes sorry.
> Strange, AMD Athlon XP 2800+ should not be so terribly slow.
> Something slows things down in your machine.

after some investigation and time spent archiving, it seems that thunderbird
with some 40000+ messages in this lazarus folder plus having firefox open were
causing my system to consume too much memory and thus using swap... especially
when i would open lazarus to do some coding or checking things out from posts in
here... after archiving, it seems to have cut down on the amount of memory used
so we'll see what happens now...

>> the first time, when i noted seeing the two windows pop up as the data was
>> retrieved, it was around 5+ seconds...
>
> If you actually see the windows, it means calling "fpc -i" and "fpc
> -h" takes a long time.
> After that the GUI control creation takes more time.

yes... i will check again later... but in the mean time, on heavily loaded
systems, having a pop up "please wait" box would be a good idea...

>>> This problem can be solved also by loading the options in a background
>>> thread.
>> yes, that would work and shouldn't be noticeable... unless one goes directly
>> to those options which is rather doubtful...
>
> It helps only loading the options, not generating the GUI. It would be
> interesting to know which operation is slower in your computer.

before the archiving and with my habits, loading from disk with loaded and
overused memory, loading from disk would likely take the longest... just
guessing, though... part of that loading time is also due to AVAST!'s file
system shield which scans files during access...

> Out of curiosity, how long does starting Lazarus take there?

i'm not sure as i did the above archiving before testing... with FF, TB, AVAST
(with all protections) running, it would take some 5+ seconds at least... closer
to 10 seconds... but that's from memory and not actually measured...

i did, however, find and implement a stopwatch type timer in my script for
compiling laz... when i ran a test after a clean boot (no TB or FF loaded) it
took about 20 minutes for the compilation run of the following steps...

1. make clean
2. TortoiseProc /command:update /path:"%myLAZpath%"
3. make OPT="-gl -gh -dHEAPTRC_WINDOW" lazbuild lcl basecomponents starter
bigidecomponents lhelp
4. lazbuild.exe --build-ide="-gl -gh -dHEAPTRC_WINDOW" --build-mode="debug ide"

which is my standard compile run for building lazarus from SVN... i'm using
trunk for both lazarus and FPC but FPC hasn't been pulled from SVN in a week or
two...