[Lazarus] Timing of all compiler options on slow machines

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 17:48:07 CEST 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 5:57 PM, Mattias Gaertner
<nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 16:58:21 +0300
> Juha Manninen <juha.manninen62 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My main machine is rather old, too, maybe 7 years::
>>  AMD Phenom(tm) 8650 Triple-Core Processor
>
> AMD released it only 5 years ago. Time traveling?

Oops. I bought it as an "old" used machine some 3 years ago. Maybe the
ex-owner also didn't remember when he bought it.
Wow, it was almost new then.
There was an issue with the CPU cooling fan. It was often running at
max. speed without a reason, making loud noise. Maybe that is why it
was sold cheaply.
There was too much silicon paste under the CPU heatsink. It had dried
and contracted in the middle and there was a gap between it and the
CPU. I removed the excess paste, spread the remainder and the fan
stopped shouting.
I believe this is a common problem with many computers. The CPUs
generate so much heat that their cooling is a delicate matter.

Juha